Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Lookbook

I've been spending the past few days shopping for breeches, trying to find something I like from Greenhawk since I have a gift certificate.  Because the choices are somewhat more limited here than on some of the bigger sites like Dover or Smartpak (which doesn't ship to Canada), I find myself simply dreaming of all the pretty breeches I cannot have.  Having absolutely no money and some pretty hefty vet bills is not helping.

Anyway, Hilary suggested that I check out Smartpak if only to read some reviews.  This led me down the rabbit hole towards their Lookbook with all their pretty outfits.  Now, let me just say that I really like fashion, but I am not necessarily the most fashionable person myself.  And definitely not at the barn.  While I was checking out the lookbook, all I could think about was how I'm lucky if my breeches are clean when I go to the barn, let alone worried about matching them to the rest of my outfit.  In fact, barn attire for me is usually 3 day old dirty hair, no makeup, whichever t-shirt I find in the bottom drawer, and a can-do attitude.

My new bogs - a little bright, but they get the job done!
I'm sure there are people who actually do look that awesome at the barn, and in fact, many of the bloggers I follow regularly post pretty pictures that make me really want to go back and take out all the pictures I have up featuring me at the barn!

Maybe someday I'll have the money to rock those looks, but until then, functional works for me!

Does anyone know of any other fun equestrian lookbooks/online magazines or catalogs? Smartpak and Dover refuse to send this poor Canadian their catalogs. :(  And I so love to window shop!

6 comments:

  1. for Western you should check out Hobby Horse. Some of my favorites include Horse and Style Magazine,H/J Style report (blog) Dappled Grey Equestrian (blog) and Get My Fix (blog). I've only become more fashionable at the barn in the last couple years (as I gain more income) also working from home on the days I ride has helped a lot (though I usually wear my polo from the day before... shhh saves on laundry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm all over Hobby Horse. I bought my Western Pleasure shirt on that website. And no shame in wearing the same clothes two days in a row - I don't own enough breeches to keep them all clean for every day!

      Delete
  2. Horze.com does lookbook online stuff, although their products aren't for everyone. I still like to look at their pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't actually want to buy anything - just look at pretty pictures anyway!

      Delete
  3. I wear my breeches 2 or 3 times before I wash them normally. Unless I get really gross I don't see any problem with it. I usually opt for a clean shirt but I can be an overactive sweater and I wouldn't want to be smelly. TMI :/ I think that cheapy athletic shirts, a fleece in the winter, and my riding pants is plenty stylish. No way would I wear an actual "sweater" to the barn unless it was because of a clinic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, you're going to a barn, so at the end of the day, your two day old breeches are going to be covered in something. Might as well wear them twice! I'm all about layers. I think I've hit my hot flashes age!

      Delete