Sunday 14 April 2013

Spa Day

The pony's tail is much too long for his new straw bedding
I just can't bring myself to cut it
I recently visited a friend's barn where she takes lessons and stumbled upon an ad for a massage therapist. The lady is new to the area so she's offering her services at $50 for an hour (!), and I was told by some of the ladies at this other barn that once she gets working, it ends up being more like 2 hours.

So guess whose getting himself a spa day once he's back to tiptop shape (or at least not swollen and sore)?

Also, I've included some photos both of the swelling in his neck and the weight loss in his hindend. You can see where the veins under his jaw are protruding from the infection, and his flank looks so emaciated. :( I have to admit that while I understand that a diminished appetite for almost a month could easily mean weightloss, I am really only noticing it in this area. He doesn't seem overly ribby or losing weight in his belly. Other than feeding him lots, I can't really think of any other way to help increase his weight in this area. Has anyone ever had this issue with their horse?

The swelling is that big bump where his cheek meets his neck at the base



My pony's poor hip-protruding butt
You can easily see the weight loss when you compare it to older pictures. Who knew I took so many butt shots!

mid-March
Earlier in the Winter

4 comments:

  1. I think the only way to make a huge difference in the hind end wasting is working the hind end which he can't do until he gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought as well. In fact, the few days I was able to ride, besides general walk/trot/canter, I was doing everything I could think of to work the hind end. He's going to hate me

      Delete
  2. Yeah, Simon's hind end is wasting away too and he's dropping weight from being on less feed. It will come back though, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. I think that while part of it can be regulated by us, some of it will just come back naturally. I'm sure once Simon and Walker return to regular work, or even regular turnout, they will start to pack the muscles on. After all, they are SUPPOSED to use their hind end all the time.

      Delete