Monday 29 April 2013

My Treat to Me

unfortunately, you can't "click to look inside"
but you can go to Amazon.ca and do so
I had to meet my new landlord today so I decided to pop into the local Greenhawk.  I had a gift certificate, and so I decided to buy Jane Savoie's Dressage 101 as per L. William's suggestion on one of my last posts.  I had been thinking about it before actually and decided now was the best time.

I meant to save my gift certificate for the new breeches I want.  I am in the market for a comfy pair of breeches but I have few options in my little neck of the woods.  I know I've talked about this before in an earlier post, but I am not having a lot of luck.  I'm currently angry at pretty much every major tack shop in North America.  To make a long story short, I want to try a pair of the Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunter breeches.  They look comfy.  People seem to like them.  I want to be comfy.

So I tried to order them from Greenhawk.  But they only had one colour in stock in my size.  Normally I'm not such a princess, but it's really not a flattering colour.  They're not getting new stock in until July - and I don't mean "they" as in little old Greenhawk, Atlantic Canada.  I mean Greenhawk's main warehouse for all of Canada.  Can I just say now that it seems really impractical to wait to bring in new stock in July when the shows start in May?  Anyway, to special order them in would cost me over $250 (when they are normally less than $180).

There's a little tack shop a few hours from me so I decided to give her a call.  She told me that no one else in Canada stocks these breeches because Greenhawk pretty much has the monopoly on them.  So that option is out (as is mostly everything in my country).

Smartpak doesn't deliver to Canada, of course.  So I emailed Dover.  You need to get a special rate from them for shipping to Canada.  I asked them how much it would cost to send me two pairs of breeches (just because I figured a larger order might help with the shipping).  They said $120.  In shipping.  Not including the cost of the breeches or the tax.  And let's not forget, I don't even know if they'll fit because I have never tried them on before.  That's outrageous!  The cost of shipping is almost as much as the cost of the damn breeches.

So now I'm just spiteful.

My current plan: ride naked.

11 comments:

  1. How frustrating (though yay on the book!) I was getting all creative thinking and thought Oh I could flat rate ship her some breeches from Smartpak, but boo flat rate boxes only work for domestic shipments. Though I wonder if regularly shipping something bought in the US to you would be cheaper then Dover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks. I appreciate the offer though. I seriously don't believe that it would cost as much as Dover has quoted me.

      Delete
  2. There are actually international flat rate boxes I am pretty sure. That is how I sent stuff to Julie from my last blog sale. I am sure that some of us could find a way to get you some nice breeches! Also depending on your size checkout my blog sale. I have at least 4 pair of TS for sale right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And probably how you'll send things to me this time because I have zero will power and seem to want to collect breeches lately...

      Delete
    2. Hmmm. This is all very intriguing. I noticed your blog sale, Hilary. Just a quick question. How do the TS run for sizes? I'm normally a 28 in jeans when I wear them lower waisted, but if I wear anything up around my waist, I'm closer to a 27. A 26 really sounds tiny, but I also don't want to get a 28 and swim in it. Especially if I end up going through all the trouble of actually getting my hands on a pair!

      Delete
  3. Jane Savoie is the best. Try eBay for breeches if you don't mind used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't mind used. I was just planning to treat myself to a new pair. :S

      Delete
  4. I so know how you feel. I've taken to buying things lightly used because having an actual person ship me something is 100x cheaper than having a business ship something to me.

    That said, shop around. You can call 10 different stores in the States and get 10 different shipping quotes (part of what pisses me off so much - you KNOW that some of them are just scamming you because it doesn't cost anywhere NEAR what they're charging to ship).

    I have that book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It would probably not even cost me as much in gas to drive across the freaking border and get them myself.

      Delete
  5. What a pain! I would be mad/frustrated too!

    Oh yeah L speaks highly of that book! I should get it eventually... i have so many books I need to read lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only barely started reading it but already I'm very impressed! You should pick it up

      Delete