Sunday 14 April 2013

Squalor: The Year From Hell

Walker and I are going to be living in squalor next year. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration but things are not looking good for our future.

On the one hand, Walker is going to have a great facility. His new box stall will be bigger than his current one. There's a wash stall and a huge indoor arena. There's even a hot walker (a walker for Walker!).

On my end, my apartment, whichever one I choose to take, will be semi-decent. I'm either getting a washer/dryer included or I will have a hookup to put in my own. I am getting a two bedroom since, frankly, prices for one bedrooms were about the same and I have a lot of stuff.

The problem lies in the money. You see, it turns out I'm quite destitute. Shocker! :p

If I were a normal girl without a horse, my money situation would be fine. After all, my law firm does pay its students handsomely.

If I were the better half of a couple (or even the worse half), I would be doing great because we could share some expenses and I wouldn't have to worry about rent the way I am.

Alas, I am single female horse owner who has an astronomical debt living in a city where they overcharge you to live in a crack house.

After doing up my finances (and freaking out about how I was going to pay my bills), I had these somber discoveries re: Walker:

- I will not be able to buy Walker a new saddle like planned unless several thousand dollars falls from the sky
- I will not be able to show at all regardless of his health
- I don't think I can even afford lessons which probably upsets me the most (although I may be able to work for some or else throw in the odd private with my new barn owner)
- if Walker gets sick at all, I will not have the money to pay for it and will need to rely on the generosity of my parents (who also probably don't have the money to pay for it)
- whatever Walker might remotely need over the next year, I will need to buy it within the next two weeks before my line of credit gets cut off

On another somber note, my Baker breeches finally came in. I ordered the size I order in all my pants and breeches even though the Baker reviews suggested they run small. And guess what. They didn't fit. They were too BIG.

To make matters worse (because every cloud has a darker lining too), I had a pair of breeches to exchange when I got there.  They were a gift from my mother but it was past the date to bring them back.  They took the breeches (thankfully) but they would only give me a credit - not to be used for later, but to be used for right then and there.  So because my breeches didn't fit, I wasted almost $100 wandering around the store and buying Walker things he didn't need (like shipping boots, standing wraps, syringes, and lead lines).  Because you always need something at the tack store, until you have 10 minutes before your next apartment appointment and suddenly can't think of one thing that you actually need.

Welcome to a sampler of my life over the last couple of weeks.  Just one thing after another.

6 comments:

  1. :(

    I've totally been there. When I was living in a different town from my bf(we live together in Halifax) for school, I had to work 4 jobs with a full class load to support myself and my pony. It sucked, and in the end I ended up giving myself an ulcer and had to come home to mend. Hopefully you can figure something out.

    What part of NB are you going to? Maybe I can dig up a horsey person who will take creative payments for lessons, haha.

    Hopefully you can figure something out! At the very least, being proactive in planning now means you will be well prepared down the road. Try not to let yourself worry too much. Everything always works out in the end! (Or you get an ulcer and have to move home.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha. I hope I don't get an ulcer! Thanks for the encouragement! :P

      I'm going to Saint John. There's lots of barns in the area. I might take a private at my barn once a month and see if I can scrounge up anything else. My only concern about working for it is that I put in long hours at my firm, and I believe they need to approve second jobs because they expect you to be available 24/7 for them.

      Like you said, it's all about planning.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, so sorry to hear about that. Its tough but where there is a will, there is a way. I remember a couple times where I had to get really creative to make things work (and will probably have to again in the future lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've obviously always been poor, but I'm only just now realizing I'm poor with a horse! I'll make it work. If anything, Walker will never go without. I'd starve first

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry. I feel your pain on multiple levels. Things will get better though, and there will be plenty of time for showing in the future if you can't make it work now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I can get over not showing, although it would have been a great way to check out the scene down there and make some friends. But I'll still probably go to shows without a horse

      Delete