Sunday 7 April 2013

GREAT Day

The handsome fellow and I rode in the outdoor arena today for the first time in probably 6 months.  And while all the other kids were terrified, had spooking/misbehaving horses, or else lunged the bejesus out of them to make them rideable, Walker was a very good boy without any of that other nonsense.

We only rode for about 30 minutes because the arena was still pretty muddy and wet, and I also didn't want to overexert him since he had a lot more energy outside than he did yesterday inside.

I let him walk around the entire arena and look around all he wanted.  Once he settled in, we did some figure eights at the trot, and I even got him settled into a nice western pleasure jog at one point, although it was still a bit forward.  I was just impressed that he would even consider dragging his nose on the ground after 15 minutes in the big scary outdoor arena.  Then, we worked on a couple circles of the canter but nothing too much so that he wouldn't hurt himself.  This is the part I was most proud of because I felt 100% in control.  Last summer, I never felt that in control, but I guess I had only had him for a few months at that point.  After a year of working very hard together (and me having a better understanding with that elusive inside leg of mine), we were able even to canter some nice small circles at the far end of the arena away from the gate without too much fuss or him wanting to bolt or go large.  I was very impressed with him.

Then I tucked him into bed and went on my merry way.  I will be back out on Tuesday to ride him outside again, and then I will have to decide if I want to put him through the rigours of a Wednesday night lesson or if I will ride another horse instead.

tired and cold but happy

1 comment: