Monday 25 March 2013

Answers... Kinda

I checked on Walker this morning, and he was doing much better.  Most of the swelling was down, although there was still a bit in the chest area.  He was also happy as a clam that he had been turned out overnight in the indoor arena which has a giant mountain of hay.  He was smack in the middle of it by the time I got there.

I talked to the vets a couple times today.  I must say that I am very impressed with their bedside manner.  The on-call vet called me several times to update me, and my actual vet called even though he had been out of the city all day and hadn't really spoken with the on-call vet.  He just wanted to check in.

Anyway, apparently Walker was severely anemic, and he was particularly low in some of his vitamins/minerals.  Both vets have absolutely no idea what would cause this in an otherwise healthy young horse, especially since they've ruled out any bacterial or viral infections.  I brought them a fecal sample so that they could rule out parasites, but he was just dewormed in January with Quest (one of the stronger dewormers we have around here).  The vet is really just checking parasites as a formality since he doesn't think that's what it is.

I got a lot of questions that make me wish I had more information from his previous owners.  They asked if he had ever had gastro-intestinal ulcers (don't know - assume not) or any other similar history.  I can readily admit that this horse has never been sick for a second the whole time I have had him until a few weeks ago.

For now, the doctor prescribed Vita-speed, which is essentially liquid iron to help bring his blood back up, and a supplement called Maximize.  Actually, he prescribed another supplement, but they didn't have it at the clinic so his assistant gave me this instead.  It is particularly pricey at $50 a container, especially since after I bagged it, I only got 17 days out of it.  :S  I talked to the vet about that, and he said that I may not need to have Walker on it forever.  Don't get me wrong.  I buy my cat $50 cat food because the vet thought he was looking a little chubby so I would definitely buy Walker supplements if it means he wouldn't swell up to the size of a balloon.  It's just that most supplements last longer so I would prefer something like that, especially if it's going to be long term.

Other than that, we're just waiting on a cause, but we're dealing with the problems.  In all my conversations, I actually forgot to ask if it was ok that I ride, but I am going to assume light exercise is a good thing.  The on-call vet said that the swelling would probably still come back for a few days until things equalize out, and exercise has seemed to help with that.  Also, I would kind of assume they would've mentioned that, but I will ask my barn owner (who texts my vet like crazy) and she is bound to get a response.

Here's hoping he ate his grain tonight because I put his liquid iron on it, and if he hasn't eaten it by the time I come back, I may have to shove it down his throat.  Oh Walker.  Now is not the time to be modest about your eating habits.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe compare the ingredients of Vita Speed with other supplements and see if you can get something similar for cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vita-speed is the liquid iron so that's irreplaceable. I talked to the vet and it pretty much has to be this supplement. It is helping to activate his red blood cells, but he doesn't think Walker needs to be on it forever.

      Delete
  2. You mentioned that the vet suggested another supplement but they didn't have it so they gave you the VitaSpeed. Is the other supplement a more affordable option?

    Hope you get some more answers. That is scary that you don't know the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the other supplement is cheaper. In fact, I got the impression that it may be more pricey and unpopular because the reason they didn't have it was that no one ever wanted it.

      Yes. I'm pretty concerned. I won't be satisfied until I know the cause because otherwise who knows when this could happen again

      Delete