Tuesday 26 March 2013

It's Raining Hay

I talked to the vet, and it turns out that it does in fact have to be that supplement that I use, which is perfectly fine by me.  Apparently it helps to stimulate his red blood cells or something along those lines, but the vet doesn't think that I will have to have Walker on it forever.  I think once he is feeling better, we will reevaluate and I'll get the vet to pick a supplement I can keep Walker on regularly.  Like I said, I never had any problems with Walker's mineral/vitamin levels before, but buying a supplement is an easy fix.  I also think the vet and I are going to have a lengthy conversation about feed and which one would maximize Walker's health and performance.  While this whole anemia thing and all the consequences and other weirdosities seem to be because of some bug or flu or temporary fluctuation, I have been debating individualizing feed for a long time now.  This gives me the perfect opportunity.  For one thing, I definitely want to add some flax into his feed because I'm finding his coat a little lackluster, which, for the record, is also a symptom of anemia and a by-product of Winter, but I want to make sure it goes back to that beautiful shine we had going on in the summer.

Until Walker feels better, I am not to ride him, which makes sense since he has to build himself back up.  I am going to turn him out in the indoor arena all night to avoid any further swelling or stocking up, and then try him in overnight for the weekend to see if it comes back.  In the meantime, I intend to visit him daily because I love him, but also because I will probably take him for extended walks around the property - check out the scenery, get a little exercise, see if spring has sprung.

Because I'm out there in the evening to put him in the arena, I've been helping the trainer's husband do a bit of the late night chores.  He likes to throw hay down from the loft at night so it's all ready for him to feed in the morning.  I had already put Walker in the arena, and the hay gets thrown in there.  I figured that he would freak out when a giant bale of hay came tumbling out of nowhere and hit the ground with a thud but not Walker.  He becomes immediately gleeful and saunters over to where the hay is.  Now he is standing directly in the path of the flying hay, and I'm going out of my way not to hit him.  Even though they are pretty much in a semi-circle around him, he is not spooked in the least, and happily munches away at each bale, testing them out.  He must think it's some blessing from on high - food delivered from the sky!

And because apparently we can't catch a break, I missed a sale on breeches at Greenhawk. :( They got a bunch of different kinds in and I wanted to try some out. I have my eye on some online at Dover, but frankly it's so much easier to buy in Canada. Anyway, I meant to buy them online Sunday night, but that was the night Walker got sick and we called the vet. I checked and now they are no longer on sale. :( Sigh. I'm ready for some good news now

Last but not least, I entered a contest for  a ninja shirt on SprinklerBandit's blog.  Because who doesn't feel like a ninja while riding? :)

7 comments:

  1. Sorry if I touched a cord, that isn't what I meant by my post, just a "there could be other options out there to explode" not a definite "you should or shouldn't do xyz"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "explore" not explode... don't explode options!

      Delete
    2. Oh no! You didn't touch a cord at all! It was something that I asked the vet myself. I just figured I'd reiterate in this post in case people didn't get a chance to read my response to your comment. Sorry if I seemed snippy! Not intended!

      Delete
    3. And exploding options sounds kind of fun

      Delete
  2. Glad you talked to the vet. Hope walker continues to improve. I also was not implying that you had to do anything just always worth a try to look at other options with horses it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like a ninja every time I almost but don't fall off. Hope Walker feels better soon! His reaction to hay falling down is funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when I feel like a ninja too. Except I probably just think I look like a ninja and look more like a flailing clown instead

      Delete