Tuesday 26 March 2013

Brave

You know, I'm trying to be brave but I'm finding it very difficult. I thought Walker was improving because he was starting to eat his grain, although slowly, and the swelling had decreased since Sunday.

And then I went out to the barn tonight. When I got there he was slightly swollen but the vet told me to expect that. There was a lesson going on so I went into the lounge to chitchat with the parents, and an hour later when I came to turn Walker out in the arena, he was even more swollen than when I got to the barn.

At this point, I was trying not to panic, since it was well past 9 at night again. I decide to take him to the arena at which point it's obvious that he can barely walk again and seems like he's going to fall over from the sheer exhaustion of moving. I took this video of him in the arena mainly for records (and possibly to show the vet), but I had to shut it off because I was too afraid he was going to collapse in front of me.


Apparently one of his tests is back and the vet is going to call me tomorrow. I will voice my concerns tomorrow, mainly that I realize the swelling will continue to return until all the medication starts working, but this type of swelling is simply too severe for comfort. I need to know if I should be administering the drugs we had to give him tonight on a regular basis. I am extremely lucky that my barn owner is friends with the vet, is well versed in giving medication in all forms, and simply that my vet gives her the medication which is technically for veterinary use only.

Secondly, I'm worried about his weight. In my opinion he has lost a lot of weight, which makes sense when you consider that he has barely eaten in two weeks, but frankly, he does not look good. I need answers.

Also, I just wanted to apologize if I have been snippy with anyone lately. I did not mean it! Although, I will be honest that I may have tore a strip off someone at my law school today who frankly had it coming and picked the wrong week to poke the bear.

Finally, all the talk about riding ninjas had me looking up other cute riding-themed apparel. I found this sweatshirt that I really liked, and it reminds me of Walker because obviously Western Pleasure is his thing. I will admit that I wanted to learn to jump, but if he'd just get better, he can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life!

8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how scared you are. You guys are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He can use all the positive thoughts he can get!

      Delete
  2. :( so sorry. Hope you get some answers from the vet tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. Not knowing the cause is the worst part I think.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think from here on out I will simply wrap him in a bubble so he can never get sick again. Solved.

      Delete
  4. Scouring your FB for updates. Keep us posted!

    I have the poor little guy in my thoughts. Fingers crossed he gets better SOON. As in, yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't posted too much on facebook because there's too many nosy people on there. But you're welcome to message me anytime.

      Thanks, I hope he gets better soon too!

      Delete