Friday 29 March 2013

Idle Hands (and Legs and Feet and Body)

Since Walker is on an extended break from being worked, I've decided that I need to do something to keep myself fit for him.  Frankly, it's been a month since I rode extensively.  I was away over March break, and Walker got sick after that.  I rode him lightly for the first two weeks, but now of course, he is on stall/arena rest.

The other night when I rode Coal, I thought I would not be tired since he is much more forward than Walker, but I quickly found myself panting and sweating after only a few minutes.  Oh the joys of getting older!  You can't even take a break for a few weeks before you start to get lazy again!

When I'm finally cleared to ride the pony again, I think I'm going to develop some sort of fitness plan for him.  He has lost a lot of weight in this bout of sickness, and I want to make sure that I work him slowly and let him gain back some weight.  In the meantime, there's no reason I can't stay fit!  There's absolutely nothing wrong with my immune system, other than a case of the couch potatoes.

I hate to jinx our good weather and everything, but I think that Spring may have finally arrived.  On that note, I may try running.  Really, I don't know why I'm even admitting to it because I say the same thing every year around this time.  And every year, I pretty much give up after the first day it rains.  However, perhaps the idea of keeping fit to be worthy of Walker will keep me motivated.  Maybe.  Hopefully.  We'll see.  If I never mention it again, you'll know why.

By the way, Walker is no longer allowed to be turned out in the indoor arena without a halter.  Apparently, it took my trainer and her husband quite awhile to catch him this morning.  He didn't escape.  He just decided to have a fun time running from them when they tried to bring him back to his stall for breakfast.  The arena isn't very big, but he is a master of evasion when he wants to be.

We also got some new ponies this weekend, including one adorable mini. I can't wait to play with them!



2 comments:

  1. Cute ponies!i want to start running too, but it's definitely easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I still haven't actually got out running, lol. I'm working on it

      Delete