Wednesday 19 June 2013

Back on the Saddle Train

my current goal for the Walker Fund
I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I got a little bit of money for graduating that I was going to put in Walker's College Fund for a saddle.  Then reality smacked me in the face, and I decided that it was a much more financially responsible thing to do to put it on my line of credit instead (since that thing is starting to skyrocket through the roof).

I had completely resigned myself to my cheap English saddle when I decided to pop into Maritime Tack on my way home for a weekend.  While I still haven't completely decided if I have the money for a saddle (or what type of saddle I'm going to invest in - one needs to have some sort of purpose in mind for that), I was extremely impressed with the lady that runs the tack shop.

Not all of her merchandise is listed on her website, but she's pretty much open to ordering me whatever I want.  She told me that she could match almost any major competitor in Canada and the US, and she said that she would give me a discount on all the matching accessories.  As if that wasn't wonderful enough, she told me that I could do a layaway plan with her if I wanted to make payments until I had enough money to afford the saddle, AND when she ordered it for me, she could have it within a week.  She was completely helpful, explaining to me all the differences between the saddles we were looking at (mostly Wintec, Bates, and Collegiate since I was simply perusing), and I was so impressed with her customer service that I pretty much decided on the spot that when I was ready to get a saddle, I would order it with her.

A couple of the saddles I was looking at included the Wintec Isabel Dressage saddle and the Wintec Pro Dressage saddle.  Those were just the synthetics.  I wasn't originally thinking about going synthetic, since that's what I have now, but if I decide to buy a dressage saddle for my not-so-dressagey horse, then perhaps a cheaper model is the way to go.  I also looked at the Bates version of the saddles in leather, but for some reason I can't get the link to work.

She had a GORGEOUS jumping saddle in my size there that she was selling at cost since she ordered it in and it didn't fit her client's horse (another perk - she'll take big ticket items back).  Then I had to remind myself (over and over again) that I can no longer jump my horse.  But boy would we have looked fabulous trotting over all those poles!  Because I was just peeking and trying to get out of there without buying the whole store, I didn't even really ask her what other brands of saddles she could bring in, so I'll be interested to have that conversation with her once I prepare myself mentally for the purchase.

As a general rule, I believe in supporting small businesses, and stores with customer service that fabulous deserve my business!

6 comments:

  1. Even the slightest possibility of getting a new saddle is super exciting!! This lady sounds like a great person to do business with when you're ready :) I wish we had a place like that in KY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Even if I don't have the money, it's nice to have a goal!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great tack shop. I believe there are multiple threads on COTH about the synthetic dressage saddles. And Karen (CONTACT) has 2 wintecs I believe. Hope you get to shop for real some time in the not too distant future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people use the Wintecs around here at least for a working saddle. Synthetics are at least much easier to take care of. It's something to think about anyway.

      Delete
  3. Love tack stores, and a good local tack store is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Which is funny because horse people are all notorious tack whores so we're the kind of people you would want to keep happy!

      Delete