Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Great Coffin Bone Debate of '13

I talked to my farrier and he confirms that Walker is lame in the front feet.  Sure, his back feet are breaking away, but he's not concerned about that.  He thinks they will harden up, and while I hate to see his feet look that bad, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not that Walker is turned out anyway.  We are still waiting on our second (and third vet opinions).

The farrier explained to me his concern.  It's not so much the rotation of the coffin bone that worries him, but the dropped heels part.  He thinks that the coffin bone is much too low in the heel area, and if he had known that when he shod him, he would have added a little elevation and a different shoe.  He was surprised that the vet never mentioned that, but in her defense, maybe she figured that he would come to that conclusion on her own.  She was probably more blatantly concerned with the abnormal toe length and sole thickness, which were glaring problems at the time.

For your viewing pleasure and education, I have included Walker's x-rays below, as well as a handy dandy little diagram showing what all the bones and parts of the hoof look like.

Handy Dandy Diagram

left front

right front

As you may or may not know, the angle of concern with laminitis is the angle parallel to the front of the hoof wall.  According to my report, both of those are sufficient in Walker's case.  For reference, I have included an x-ray I found on the internet showing the hoof of a horse with severe laminitis.  As you can tell, the situation is quite different:
hoof with severe laminitis
Walker's issue is more of a "flat feet" kind of problem.  If you check out the other angle - the one that should not be parallel to the sole of the hoof, Walker's is much too flat compared to what it should be.  Or at least this is the concern of the farrier.  

 

He has shown the x-rays to a vet friend of his, and I emailed my old vet to see what he thinks.  Hopefully one of them will be able to give us some direction - either quiet our concerns or else simply tell us how to solve the problem.

A horse with lameness is a hard thing to watch.  If I were the hulk, I would simply throw Walker over my shoulder and carry him everywhere he wanted to go.  I hate to watch him walk!

15 comments:

  1. It's hard to tell for sure without pictures of the hoof, but I agree with your farrier. Negative palmar angles are usually associated with low heel/long toe type hooves. I disagree with how your farrier wants to fix Walker's issue, but that's the barefoot proponent in me talking.

    It's no fun seeing your horse in pain, so I hope his hooves are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as a general rule, I believe in barefoot horses. That being said, Walker has never been barefoot the whole time I've had him. I pull his shoes in the Winter, but his feet never really seemed to be healthy enough (in the front) to leave unshod in the summer. Not that he had these problems before - just normal sensitivity/weakness.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I hope that you hear back from one of the vets sooner rather than later. I understand how hard it can be to watch your horse suffer in pain :/ Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Luckily I still have lots of bute, so I think I'm going to slip him some drugs to help

      Delete
  3. I am not a medical professional so I have no opinion or comment. :/ hope he just gets better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't expect anyone to magically appear out of the woodwork with a veterinary degree (although that would be awesome).

      Delete
  4. I can't get super technical, but I definitely don't think that he's showing signs of laminitis just based on the angle comparison. Good luck with everything, you guys will get this figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. At this point, we've already ruled out laminitis. Thank god.

      Delete
    2. Good! Sorry for the misunderstanding

      Delete
    3. Oh no! Don't apologize. You hit the nail on the head. That was our first concern, but thankfully the x-rays ruled that out

      Delete
  5. I don't now much about this stuff either, but just hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of you lots over the past week. Fingers crossed for a good diagnosis. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going through this right now with my horse. I have a lame horse, the vet took Radiradiographs and didn't think it looked bad or that he had laminitis. Two other vets and my very experienced farrier said OMG, his feet need help and he definitely has laminitis. My farrier just did some special shoeing. It's so hard to see him in pain but he is still happy and eats. He gets around slowly. He's on a lot of pain meds.

    ReplyDelete