Tuesday 18 June 2013

Liebster Award

It was so nice of L. Williams to nominate me for the Liebster award.  I'm always surprised that anyone reads my blog, but I definitely enjoy reading L. Williams' blog!  I'm truly honoured.  You have no idea!

HOW TO ACCEPT THE AWARD: The Liebster Blog Award is a way to recognize blogs who have less than 200 followers.  Liebster is a German word that means beloved and valued.  Here are the rules for accepting the award:
  1. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog.
  2. List 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
  4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
  5. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
  6. Go to each blogger's page and let them know you have nominated them.
11 Random Facts
  1. My favorite food is peas.  Raw peas in the pod straight from the garden.  If you cook them, they're not my favorite food anymore.  Few people grow peas these days, and there are people at home who grow them just for me.  
  2. I eat popcorn every day.  
  3. I eat every hour.  I will get sick if I don't eat regularly enough.  Because of this, I keep fruit snacks in my purse, in my car, on my night stand, in my desk at work, etc.  When the Apocalypse happens, come find me.  We will not starve.  
  4. I have a minor in Latin.  I can read and write in Latin, and I have also studied Ancient Greek, Irish Gaelic, Italian, and French.  I am bilingual in French and find languages easy to pick up.
  5. I hate my birthday.  Bad things happen on my birthday, and as I get older, I am getting surlier about it.  A couple years ago, I actually went on a vacation with my parents out of the province and told none of my friends who were planning a party for me and were less than impressed by my absence.  
  6. My friends call me the pope-killer because when I went to World Youth Day in Germany, Pope John Paul II died that year before we got to see him.  This past year when I went to Italy with my mom (who really wanted to see the pope), he retired the day we flew out and there was no pope for the entire time we were there.
  7. I love the Royal Family.  I read EVERYTHING about them and I'm a big history buff when it comes to the entire monarchy.
  8. I love writing stories.  My friend and I have been writing together since we were young, and I participated in Nanowrimo a couple years ago.  Whenever we get together, we call it "storying" instead of writing (so as not to feel too pretentious about our literary aspirations) and our routine includes eating a box of Kraft Dinner straight from the pot while we watch old episodes of Xena and discuss plot lines.  I let no one else read my stories but her.
  9. My grandfather was an expert marksman and sniper in World War II and an amazing salmon fisher who used to guide tourists on the river.  His son, my father, can shoot or fish nothing, nor does he have the patience to do so.  My biggest regret is not learning to do those things while my grandfather was still alive.
  10. I have had almost every type of pet (cat, horse, dog, bird, rabbits, fish) but my parents aren't really pet people.
  11. I have night terrors - or at least that's what I call them.  They're actually a mix between nightmares and sleepwalking.  I wake up in the night and assume irrational things are happening like the ceiling is collapsing or there are strange men in my room.  I then react like any rational person in those types of situations - I will battle roll out of bed and defend myself (and sometimes my stuffed animals) from disasters and intruders.  I have been told it is terrifying.  This is also probably why I'm single.
11 Questions from L. Williams
  1. Favorite type of jump: Big ones.  Since I've only ever jumped crossrails (and one sad attempt at a 2 foot fence which shall remain nameless), I am in awe by all jumps.  Someday. 
  2. Favorite Professional Rider/Horse Team: Ian Millar.  No doubt in my mind.  Not only is he Captain Canada, but I am in awe with his riding.  While all the other jumpers are out on the course like they're running from a nuclear bomb, he always looks so calm - like he's out for a hack and there just happens to be five foot fences in his way.
  3. Favorite Riding Exercise: Anything where there is a pattern because I get bored easily and also because Walker will usually pick up on the pattern after 2 or 3 times through.  Then it's easy sailing.
  4. Least Favorite Riding Exercise: No stirrups posting.  Because I can't do it.  My legs ache immediately the minute I drop my stirrups and apparently I'm too out of shape to propel my body in the air every couple of beats.  Obviously, this is on my to-do list.
  5. Where do you see yourself next years (horse/career/life): I expect to still own Walker of course, and hopefully we will have found a place/discipline that we enjoy.  I have no idea what will happen with my career or the rest of my life.  Either I will get hired on at the firm I'm at and live in this godforsaken city for a few more years, or else I will try and find a new place for us to eek out a living.
  6. Advice you would give yourself 5 years ago:  Buy a horse.  I regret not doing this earlier.
  7. If you could change your name, what would  you change it to? I like my name.  In fact, I'm so attached to my last name that if I ever get married and have kids, I'm going to be very upset if the kids have to have my husband's name!
  8. If you could train with anyone, who would it be and why? It's a toss up for me between someone like Ian Millar, Jane Savoie or Buck Brannaman.  I feel like there's something different to be offered from each of them, whether it is the skills and work ethic it takes to compete at a high level, the methodical understanding of the horse and how to make him stronger and healthier, or the simple horsemanship that helps a person truly connect with a horse.
  9. I'm giving you $5k.  What would you buy? I would probably put it on my debt because that wouldn't even dent it.  But if I had no debt, I would buy a new saddle.
  10. Give me the recipe for your favorite dish you can make: I'm sorry but I am the plainest eater on the planet.  I am a meat and potatoes kind of girl, and I put no sauce on the meat so I have nothing special to share.  That recipe includes: boil potatoes, mash potatoes, fry your choice of meat, and eat.
  11. Dream vacation destination? Ireland.  I've been wanting to go to Ireland since I was a little girl.  Some day I'll get there.  
11 Questions from Me
  1. What other discipline would you try if you had the chance and why?
  2. If you had no financial concerns or ties, what job would you rather be doing than the one you have now?  What is your dream job?
  3. What is your one weakness?
  4. Describe the qualities of your perfect horse (breed, age, height, colour, capabilities, etc.)
  5. What is one of your favorite quotes?
  6. What would you name the autobiography of your life?
  7. Tell me about the best day you've had with your horse.
  8. What other animals do you have in your life?
  9. What is your favorite TV show (assuming you have time for that kind of thing!)
  10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go? Don't worry, you can bring your horse!
  11. You can put three pictures on your desk at work.  Which ones do you choose and of who or what
11 Bloggers
  1. Julie at The Little Bay Princess
  2. K at Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  3. Lauren at My Life With Charlie
  4. Gingham at Pia's (and Prairie!) Parade
And all the rest of mine were already taken by the other winners or L. Williams... fail...  But for a list of blogs I enjoy, check the column to the right.  I'm always interested in finding new blogs!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh why thank you. Awesome facts about yourself, btw. I have no idea what I will write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It took me awhile to compile all that, and then I apparently waited too long because my list of nominees had to be shortened extensively based on everyone else's responses. So I just gave up on that front.

      Delete
    2. I realize from re-reading that comment that it makes it sound like I chose you as a last resort. I definitely chose your blog (and all the blogs that made the list) from the beginning! For the record...

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the award, I just saw this!!!! Lol at the pope-killer bit.... you had some of the best random facts I've seen so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Sometimes I feel like I lead a pretty random life! And you're welcome. I'm excited to read your post!

      Delete
  3. Jealous that you speak French! I often question my ability to speak English sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I don't speak any language well before noon!

      Delete