Wednesday 12 June 2013

Mornings

I'm not a morning person.

In fact, I'm so NOT a morning person that I couldn't even bring myself to write this post yesterday morning like I originally planned.

I always dream of someday owning my own barn and having horses in the back yard, but in all honesty, I fear that they would starve to death before I could convince myself to wake up on the weekend and feed them.

Don't get me wrong, I can get up early when I have to. In fact, I get up at 6 every day when I have work or school, but in school I usually need a nap, and when I work, I'm usually the picture of crankiness.

A quick Google search tells me that this is what Dawn looks like
I don't sleep well at night so I think that just adds to it. I'm a night hawk. I don't go to bed until midnight, but then it wouldn't be a normal night unless I laid in bed for 2-3 hours trying to fall asleep. I've had some exceptionally bad nights where I've been awake until 4, just to have to wake up at 6 for school/work. 

I also tend to be sick every morning.  It's a weird metabolism thing, and I've been that way my whole life. Needless to say, it's easy to understand why I loathe mornings.

All that being said, I still wish I was a morning person. There is something so calming about the morning, and I always feel like the morning has so much untapped potential. I mean, that's several hours of the day I never see (if I can help it).

I also feel like horse people should be morning people. It's that whole "up at the crack of dawn to feed the cows" mentality that transcends the equestrian sport.  In fact, I sometimes see people talk about their "morning ride", and I'm so impressed because my idea of a morning ride is one at 11:30 AM.  If I get my way on the weekend, I'm up at the crack of noon.

I find these days that working has made my mornings even worse.  It doesn't help that I have no desire to go to work or that I live in a city that has yet to see summer, but I find that I'm just so physically exhausted that it really takes every bit of energy I have just to get myself to work on time.  That can't bode well for the next 40 years of my life, that's for sure.

What about you?  Are you a morning person?  A night hawk?  Both?

10 comments:

  1. I was a nighthawk, then adjusted to be a morning person, some days my rhythm gets screwed up (and it really is about rhyhms and cycles.) It takes a while to get back on them, I also tend to be sick in the mornings too, I used to be unable to eat anything until 10, but I've fixed that for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting up early Mon-Fri for years (ie forever) but never really adjusted to it. I realize that it might help to wake up early on the weekends, but by then, I am just physically drained

      Delete
  2. Definitely not a morning person... But not really a night hawk either? Haha. I require a lot of sleep, so in an ideal world I'd go to bed early and sleep in late, haha. I'm hoping getting my body on track with the naturopath will help that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a morning person AT ALL. I get sick in the morning too if I eat too early after getting up. Don't know why, but I've always been that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite. I actually have to eat first thing on the mor ing or I'll be sick for the rest of the day. It used to be that I needed to eat immediately - as in, I keep food on my bedside table - but now I've trained myself to at least be able to have a quick shower first.

      Delete
  4. I hate getting up early.. yet i do it 6 days a week blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day and the week and the weekend in particular are not long enough!

      Delete
  5. Hate getting up early. I am a bit of an insomniac so nights aren't always that fun for me either as I have a terrible time sleeping. Hope you get settled with work and your new routine. Also isn't it night owl? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Night hawk. Night owl. Whatevs. I still don't sleep. :P

      Delete