Friday 7 June 2013

"The Program"

Everyone at the barn is on "The Program".

They talk about it like I should instinctively know what this program is.  One lady I met has her thoroughbred in for training.  I asked what she was training her for since the mare isn't exactly green broke and I, the fool, assumed she was working towards some particular discipline.  She said, "Oh, I'm just putting her through The Program" as though I should already know that.

What they mean, of course, is the Clinton Anderson program, and they talk about it like there are no other programs out there, like it is the be-all end-all of training.

I have always been rather fascinated with Clinton Anderson.  But I've also been fascinated with Buck Brannaman and Jane Savoie and anyone else with good ideas and wonderful horsemanship.  I believe that almost every program has its merits, and in fact, I subscribe to the piecemeal approach of horseback riding, or rather the "borrow from every program until you find what works" method of riding my horse.  It works for me just as I'm sure some programs work better for others.

Unfortunately, The Program is not so much suggested at my barn as it is mandatory.  Someone once used the word "strict" when describing my barn owner's philosophy, and I have to say that I balked at the word.

There's a reason I work in the profession that I do, and that's simply because I don't always like to be told what to do.  Don't get me wrong.  When I'm interested in something, you don't have to tell me.  I'll be ALL OVER it.  But the minute someone tries to force me to do what I'm interested in doing, I fight against it.  Walker and I have that in common.

I once whipped Walker in the face with a lead line by accident.
That didn't phase him and I doubt this stick thing will either.
I have no intentions of making waves.  I like my barn and I like my barn owner.  I think Clinton Anderson's program is useful, especially because of its emphasis on groundwork which I've often been too lazy in the past to do with Walker in any substantial amount.

But I'm also hoping that I can get across my own philosophy - the one where I don't necessarily believe that buying certain products will make me a better horsewoman or subscribing exclusively to a method, especially if it doesn't work as well as another method, just because it's the thing to do.

I'll do whatever it takes to be a better overall rider, and I'll try anything once.  But if that doesn't work, well, I'll be back to the good ol' Fly-By-The-Seat-Of-Your-Pants Program (FBTSOYPP for short).

Here's hoping they can make me a believer.

Good horses happen in every breed and good trainers in every country.  In fact, it is really important to avoid "equestrian religion" of this-and-that brand and remember that all correct methods, regardless of their apparent "flavours", result in active, straight, obedient horses that are light to the aids.   - J.P. Giacomini

3 comments:

  1. So does your BO make everyone participate in the program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely sure yet. I know that if you do lessons, you have to.

      Delete
  2. I like your philosophy and take the same approach myself.

    ReplyDelete