Sunday 30 June 2013

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good

Walker's new SMB boots came in, and I got to try them out today.  He looks super cute in his little turquoise boots, and I think they were a good investment.  I was happy that he was not looking lame again today, and the vet told me to work him all this weekend, including riding, so long as he doesn't look too lame.  She is coming out to x-ray his feet again on Tuesday so she would like to see him at his worst, if he's going to be lame.  I was pretty happy with my progression with him without wearing spurs.  He was much more willing to trot off when I squeezed my legs today than the last time I rode him where he needed a good swift kick.  I take my improvements in small doses.

The Bad

My legs, seat, and hands leave a lot to be desired.  While I'm happy that I was able to be more effective with our "go forward" cues, he was not so good with my steering cues, which comes back to him not being light enough off the leg.  I will say that wearing no spurs has really given me a whole new arsenal of tricks though, and I kind of like being able to use every part of my leg, heel included, without worrying about jabbing him with a spur.  My legs were also not very silent.  Try as I might, they were flopping around there like spaghetti, and my seat was not particularly deep or stable, something that is going to be necessary for his inevitable temper tantrums. As for my hands, those blasted things have a mind of their own.  Even when I'm on a loose rein, I somehow seem to be pulling on his mouth, but I know that I am doing it in conjunction with him ignoring my leg aids, i.e. I ask him to turn with my leg, he ignores my leg, so I find myself pulling him around.  Frankly, Walker is not the only one out of shape, and these three things have always been my downfall.  I'd like to say that before he got sick I was better with them, but not by much.

The Ugly

Walker needs an attitude adjustment.  He rolled on the end of the lunge line again today.  Except that he rolled with my saddle on!  My suede saddle.  And his new boots, which are now filthy.  I was thrilled.  He is also full of bad behaviour.  I mean, he always used to buck and go a little wild on the end of a lunge line when he was fresh, but this is starting to become unacceptable. He was bucking and kicking inwards on the circle, hoping to hit me in the head, I imagine (probably not, but he knows better).  He didn't rear today but lots of similar nasty behaviour.  Flying backwards, trying to intimidate me with wild flying hooves, including his front hooves, facing me with that "make me" attitude that always forces me to reciprocate.  Once I get the ok from the vet and we solve whatever is wrong with him, I am going to run the bejesus out of him.  I was definitely less accepting of this behaviour today, especially since he didn't appear lame, but I still don't want to hurt him.  When I got Walker, I lunged him everyday for 6 months straight until I finally got him calmed down.  I can see that happening again in our future.

Oh well, work is better than no work.

4 comments:

  1. Eeek. Sounds like some solid groundwork coming up soon for Mr. Walker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Time for him to come back to reality

      Delete
  2. Yikes. That's dangerous. I am glad that you weren't hurt. Maybe while he is this cantankerous you can wear a helmet when lunging? Hope that you get the okay for solid work to straighten him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wearing a helmet actually. I don't think my face would look so great with a horse shoe tattoo

      Delete