Sunday 19 May 2013

Bad Tootsies

I'm worried about Walker's feet.  He was back in the main part of the barn today, and he was even in a nicer stall - bigger than the first one he had and on better ground.  So I intend to pile things on the door as fast as I can to make it mine.

Unfortunately, he was definitely lame today.  I brought my mother and godmother to visit him, and after we gave him some apples, I decided to pick his feet out in the hall where there was better lighting (I often just groom him in his stall these days).  I noticed almost immediately that he was lame, and I have to say that it is probably 100% my fault.  Sure, let the horse who hasn't been ridden for two months and is acting like he's on crack gallop around the arena.  Great idea, Natalie.  Great idea.

In fairness to me, he has been turned out for a couple weeks now, and he was going to be turned out with other horses this week.  So frankly, it he didn't run like a lunatic yesterday, he was going to do it tomorrow or the next day or the day after that.

However, I'm also concerned about his back feet.  I find that they are expanding, if you know what I mean.  The white line area seems brittle, and while I don't think he has white line disease or anything, I just don't like the look of his back feet.

I'm kind of mad at my last farrier because the last few times he has come, I find that he has done little to no work on his back feet.  This is not to say that my old barn owner didn't have quite a few of her lesson horses with feet like this, but Walker is no pack horse, and crackly feet worry me.  I could also be overreacting because frankly, I obviously can't remember exactly what Walker's back feet looked like this time last year, and it is his first few months out on hard ground after a long winter inside.  His feet may simply need time to adjust, which is the song and dance my last barn owner tried to sell me on.  Perhaps she is right, or perhaps I should listen to my own instincts for once.

Needless to say, I'm simply going to call my new farrier and see what his opinion is.  Walker goes barefoot on his back feet, but I will of course shoe him if my farrier is actually concerned.  Here's hoping that the lameness goes away by tomorrow or the next day.  I'm pretty sure it's just from his mad romp in the indoor arena, but if it persists, I will start to associate it with his feet. Unfortunately, I can't leave just any day this week from work to meet the farrier because I have a few meetings, so hopefully we can work something out before too long.  I could get the barn manager to hold him, but I would really like to meet the farrier the first time and explain the situation.  Oh well, whatever works, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you can get his feet sorted out!!!

    I bet he is glad to be back with the other horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's back in a nicer stall! Boo to lameness - hopefully just foot soreness or he tweaked something running around and we will be back to normal very soon.

    ReplyDelete