Wednesday 1 May 2013

My 1000 lb puppy

One of puppy's favorite chew toys
I have a friend who loves dogs, and he thinks it's hilarious that I call Walker my 1000 lb puppy.

In fairness, Walker is a lot like a puppy.  He hangs his head low and loves to get in your face.  He comes when I call him and follows me in the arena.  He plays with EVERYTHING, and thinks every other puppy at the barn wants to be his friend.  He is loyal and thinks I exist to be his (wo)manservant.

Since I've been so bored at the barn lately, I've been helping to do the barn chores in the morning.  While leading some of the other horses around, I realized that most horses are like puppies or dogs in some way or another.  Some are more small and active like terriers (the ponies of the universe) and some are large and clumsy.

Walker is the golden retriever of horses.  According to this handy website, golden retrievers display the following familiar characteristics:

- they are a sturdy dog that loves water (have I ever mentioned Walker's fascination with puddles?)
- they are moderately active outside and need a large yard
- golden retrievers need to be exercised daily, and they believe that the leader leads the way and the leader is the human
- golden retrievers (like quarter horses) are one of the most popular breeds today and are good for all-around activities for everything from household companions to working animals
- "they are lovable, well-mannered, intelligent dogs with great charm"


If Walker were a puppy... and a blond

What kind of puppy is your horse?  I seriously can't be the only one to notice the comparison!

6 comments:

  1. My horse is a puppy too. I think he might be a german shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, they're all like puppies!

      Delete
  2. I think Simon is a greyhound. Really sweet and loving, but extremely fragile and lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Houston is so a puppy! I think something along the lines of a Great Dane or other MASSIVE bread that is goofy, friendly, and loud.

    ReplyDelete