Friday 17 May 2013

The Rundown

The new barn concerns me, as all new things tend to concern me.

For one thing, it is a Quarter Horse barn.  For instance, check out this bumper sticker on one of the stalls:


Now may not be the best time to tell them about my love affair with Jane Savoie.

In many ways the barn is bother better and worse than the old barn.

Ironically, Lauren just posted on this subject the other day.  I would say the following regarding her list of 6 important criteria:

1. horse care - superb; they are very diligent.  Yesterday Walker had a slight cough and a runny nose, and I got a call by mid morning.  They put him on quarantine, checked his temperature, and kept me updated.  I've since learned that the barn has several different feeds to choose from, and he seems more than willing to find what's best for Walker
2. price - the best I'm going to get in the area, but unfortunately the lessons seem a little pricier than I'm used to
3. facilities - 50/50; built on a grander scale, but still old in some ways.  Walker's stall is bigger than his old stall (although my barn owner has stalls 3 times that size which make me drool over them in lust).  The indoor arena is bigger, and there is a great wash stall.  Unfortunately, there seem to be less paddocks over all, and although Walker's stall is bigger than his last one, I don't actually like it that much.  It's on straight ground (as in, no mats or anything underneath) and the ground itself is uneven.  I suspect that it was once used for storage.  Time will tell if I can get over those things.
4. training - great... for quarter horses... who want to show quarter horse
5. location - perfect
6. people - they seem nice, although admittedly it is a quieter barn than my last one and I like a good social atmosphere

Thus brings me to my biggest dilemma: training.

I like my new barn owner who is also the trainer.  I think he's knowledgeable, but he's also in the Quarter Horse world.  I've heard it once explained that there are three types of disciplines: English, Western, and Quarter Horse - and I think that's an apt description.  Quarter horse people who want to show Quarter Horse do things in a completely different way, and frankly, while it is the world that Walker knows best and would work best with him, at this point in our life, it's not what I'm looking for.  Even hunt seat and jumping is done completely different, and while I think my new barn owner will have lots to say to help me with the foundations, I don't want to get led down the rabbit hole.

Secondly, I'm concerned that he thinks I'm there either for training or lessons.  I am, of course, if I can scrape together some money, but primarily I am there for board.  I need a place for my pony to live, and while I want to learn, I just can't afford it all right now.  He seems anxious to get going, and because I'm awkwardly avoiding the conversation, I'm lucky that Walker still has two weeks of vet-sanctioned vacation before we're back to work.  I intend to put it off until he just stops talking about groundwork.

For the meantime, I'm just taking it all in.  First impressions can be deceiving, and perhaps I have just worked some things up in my mind which just aren't true (i.e. training).  Time will tell, but in general, I like the new barn and people, and I'm happy Walker and I are reunited.

4 comments:

  1. I think most people run into that problem if they go somewhere where there is primarily one trainer who may also own the barn, whether or not they "get with the program" that was on of my original worries about moving Carlos to GA because he didn't need training rides, I only need the occasional lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure we could use both the training rides and the lessons, I just don't want them (the training rides, at least). I think I just need to give it a bit of time. As with most things, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just jumping to a lot of conclusions

      Delete
  2. Did you say when you were looking for a place that you may not be doing a lot of training? I have learned to be up front if I know there are going to be months where I don't take a single lesson, because sometimes the pressure to 'get with the program' is strong after you get in a barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was looking for a barn, it was in September so at the time, I actually thought I would be looking for training. I didn't say that, but I didn't say I wouldn't be either.

      Delete