Monday 20 May 2013

The Training Itch

Do you ever get the itch to pick up a young (or youngish horse) and start them yourself?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but every so often, I really just want to start my own horse, whether that means getting a foal that I'm able to really work with from the beginning or a 2 or 3 year old ready to start some groundwork.

Let me also preface this conversation by saying
1) I am too poor to afford a second horse
2) I am not so confident in myself to believe I have the skill to do this

My friend A is getting to start and work with a few babies this summer, and I have to say I'm a little jealous.  She got back into riding at the same time as me, and she managed to convince her barn owner to get her a project horse.  So her barn owner went out and got her three... three project horses that A doesn't have to pay for and can work under the supervision of the barn owner and her daughter, who have both trained numerous horses.  Ummm.  Yes.  I'm seeing a little green (and no, I don't just mean green horses!).

Soon I will free him from his dungeon
In truth, I believe that horse ownership is a lesson in training on a daily basis.  Walker may be professionally trained, but I "train" him every day I ride him to understand my own personal cues and work through any issues we may have.  I think that when you own a horse, you quickly realize how much is left up to you to fix yourself, and I really relish the challenge... even when it's not so successful...

In fact, Walker's return to riding and his new Jane Savoie program is going to be a chance to do a little "training" on  my home since although I'm sure he'll remember how to do loads of things, he will probably not be physically capable of many of them for awhile.

I'm also intrigued by the Clinton Anderson program (yeah, yeah, I know I said I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole...), but I got to see my new barn owner with a young colt the other day.  Although I just saw him briefly, I really got the impression that he knows his stuff and would be helpful should I decide to go that crazy route some day.  In the meantime, I'm hoping to hover annoyingly around every time he or his barn manager are working a young horse so at least I can soak up some knowledge while I dream about Walker's future brother.

In reality, I just want to ride - anything, anytime, anywhere.  Just get me a horse!!!

5 comments:

  1. I think like this too, but the reality is I'm not good at fixing some problems and if I got a young horse with one of those problems I'd be screwed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My last instructor said that the one time she trained a horse, it was her own, and now she's the only one who can ride it. This is probably what I would do to a horse.

      Delete
  2. Your horse your rules is how I always think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh I do sometimes but I also think is nice to have something that's started. I don't think I posses the skills required to raise a baby on my own and train it so it could get hella expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The trained ones are already expensive enough and lord knows I'd just end up paying a trainer to fix my mistakes anyway!

      Delete