Tuesday 28 May 2013

Results

First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm extremely impressed with my new vet who was very kind and thorough.  Especially considering Walker decided to be a little jerk about the process.  Even though he was lame as chewtoy, he was mad that all the other horses were turned out and he had to stay in.  When we went to the arena to try jogging him on the soft sand, he just about ripped out of the vet assistant's hands and almost reared, the little hooligan.  I was so embarrassed especially since he normally gets rave reviews for his complacency and manners.

"What do you mean I don't get treats for almost running
over the vet assistant?"
Secondly, I'm sad to say that his neck is not going to improve.  The new vet says that the lumpiness of his neck is not simply leftover scar tissue, although it's similar to that.  The neck has formed itself in that way (for lack of any medical terminology), and although I bought some products from her to try and break it up a bit, she said that it may simply come back.  So needless to say, Walker's halter days are over.  Not the worst news in the world of course, but it's disappointing since he was bred for it and he usually kicks all the other quarter horses' butts.

Thirdly, I am happy to report that he does not have laminitis, which the farrier and vet initially thought it was.  "Happy" really doesn't even explain the feeling of extreme joy I have in knowing that.

According to the vet, essentially the toes are so long and the sole is so thick that it is causing an upward tipping of the coffin bone which is resulting in a pinching effect.  The farrier simply needs to trim them back.  Once again, words cannot describe how upset I am that his feet are so bad even though it has only been 6 weeks.

Although I am generally happy with the news, I'm sad to report that Walker is showing some mild/early navicular changes, in which case she does not think he is suited to be a jumper.  Now, don't get me wrong, my Western Pleasure Quarter Horse was never going to the Olympics, but I was pretty excited to do at least some low hunters with him.  But that's ok because 5 days ago, I was afraid he had foundered and there were going to be more devastating results.

It is my understanding from her report that by "mild changes", she means that it's not something to be worried about right now but that it is simply something to be wary of for the future.  I am going to have a conversation with her on the matter.  From my quick 10 second research on navicular, I've read that it really helps to shift as much weight back onto the hindquarters as possible (as in, most dressage maneuvers and collection).  Luckily for Walker, he is now about to go become a little dressage pony with the lovely help of Jane Savoie (book version, obviously!).

While there is obviously some disappointing news sprinkled into the report, I think that the overall result is positive.  Last week I was balling thinking that my horse had foundered and would be unrideable (if not worse), and I was really imagining that best results would be severely dim.  We have clearly rode a rainbow over this disaster, and now we'll just get ourselves some new dreams.

As I already told Julie today, this is just an excuse to buy Walker a brother - a nice little Warmblood jumper.  When I win the lotto.  And if I'm going to win the lotto, I might as well buy myself a horse for every discipline.  You all can have one too.

7 comments:

  1. Both a good and bad report. I'm glad he's not foundering, but not glad he can't jump or show halter :( Maybe you can still do schooling show level halter classes just for fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, halter thus far has not actually been fun. They tend to be first thing in the morning when Walker is the most fresh. The last show, he walked in circles around me (I kid you not). I was mortified, but we still won champion. Needless to say, it's not so worth it on the fun scale if we can't win, lol. Not that winning is everything. But it is if you're going to put yourself through that!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the results came back primarily positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness he doesn't have laminitis! Sorry about the other disappointing results though :( Winning the lotto sounds pretty good to me, though you should definitely spend it all on yourself when that happens. I'm thinking a horse for every discipline that strikes your fancy and gorgeous farms in Florida and wherever else you might want one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I will need gorgeous farms for all my horses! It's probably sad that when I think about winning the lotto, all I can think about is all the fun horse things I would buy instead of all the fun human things normal people would buy.

      Delete
  4. I too think of all the fun horse things I would have/buy/do if I won the lotto. Totally normal... ;) glad that its not laminitis. Mild changes can be easily managed from what I understand depending on the horse. :)

    ReplyDelete