Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Dainty Princess

I'm a worried person by nature.  Horse ownership is probably not the best thing for my nerves.

I once said that I wished I could just wrap Walker in a bubble.  And I mean it.  The stress of every little nick  bump, or bruise weighs on me tremendously, and the more serious stuff pretty much beats me into the ground.

I find it hard to treat the dainty princess as anything but, especially after he has had so much stall rest.  I mean, I'm a big proponent of the "go be a horse" mentality, but we all know that horses don't exactly have their own best interests in mind 100% of the time.

Take turnout for instance.  I've really got to formulate a game plan for that one.  I can picture it now: Walker, finally sound, allowed to go outside.  He takes off across the field at a full gallop.  Next day, he's lame.

I know.  Because he did it a week ago!

And because when the vet came, he was severely lame, and he still tried to break away and run across the arena.  I mean, really, Walker?  He practically hobbles from the stall to the arena, but does he believe he can gallop and buck across it? Oh yes, of course.

Although I'm on a financial diet and am supposed to be saving up for horse expenditures via Walker's College Fund, I fell off the beaten track last night.  It turns out that there was a Memorial Day sale on Horseloverz, and there was no shipping.  Needless to say, when you have to ship to Canada, no shipping is a big deal.  I got the call from A at about 10:00 PM that she and another fellow equestrian were putting in an order (and I had until midnight to decide).  At first, I resisted, but it took me all of 10 seconds on the website to cave.

I got Walker a pair of Professional's Choice Sport Medicine Boots since I'm now a nervous nellie about his legs/feet/general wellbeing.  They were actually cheaper than on the actual Professional Choice's website so it's a pretty good deal.  I got him a pair in turquoise because blue is his colour and I would hate for him to look bland at the new Western barn where, needless to say, coloured boots are "in".

I was going to get him a pair of Back on Track Exercise Boots (since L.Williams swears by BOT everything), but with an hour to make a decision, I couldn't figure out what size he is.  Apparently I can get the BOT boots at my local Greenhawk, so I imagine that I will be trying them out in the near future.

I imagine that this is how horse people end up with ulcers.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, horses cause way too much stress sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a worrier too - I picked the wrong sport for all that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sales always suck us in!!!

    ReplyDelete